Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mud and Flood

Well, I have had enough of the rain and mud for this spring, is it summer yet?  Last time I posted I was talking about going fishing.  I went with my wife, Stacey, up to Eva, TN, for our 3rd anniversary. We rented a nice cabin, just over looking the Tennessee River/Kentucky Lake.  The first day was awful, the boat motor wouldn't run.  The fishing was bad, the water was rough and muddy.  We went back to the cabin to enjoy our first night in this huge cabin, that was bigger than most hotel suites.  Satellite TV, phone, air conditioning, gas logs, two bedrooms, two baths, awesome real leather furniture.  Stacey was a little upset that there was no internet, but I told her we were roughing it.  The second day out, we found a boat motor, for a good price, and took it out, right off the bat I ran into a tree.  Scared the stew out of Stacey.  The water was really rough all day long, white capping.  About five PM, we were able to get out an fish for a while and caught some nice catfish. It rained the next morning with thunder storms, until about noon. The fishing still wasn't very good, but we managed to get out and try the motor out.  25 Horsepower is pretty big on my boat, just above idle speed and we really were moving. Once I got the trim adjusted it did really great!  Just enough to keep the nose out of the water.  We could make it to the Beaver Dam  Creek Marina and back in half the time it used to take us.  Too bad they were closed because of the high water, they have really good burgers.  Third day out and we didn't even bother putting the boat in the water, fish were biting like crazy right on the campground, which was completely flooded! All the way up to the road, there was flood water.  I caught a picnic table once and had to break my line to get it loose.  Stacey was fishing off of a picnic table that had a few inches of water, just at the base.  She was pulling Bluegill out of the water as fast as she could re-bait her hook.  I kept catching those little stripped bass.  I finally moved down to where she was fishing and my luck changed drastically.  We caught 50 in all in just a few hours.  We had to quit because we ran out of night crawlers.
This had to be the best trip we had even with the bad weather and flooding.  No sleeping on the ground, no wet clothes in the tent, shower right there waiting after a long day of fishing!  My wife always catches more fish than I do, but that's because I'm running the boat, of fishing her fishing line.  Oh, the minnows I bought two months ago are still in my fish tank in the bedroom.  Stacey thinks I'm keeping them as pets.  I'm just fattening them up for the Crappie!

No comments:

Post a Comment